Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Semester Begins

My long-awaited first semester at the University of Zurich started this Monday and it's been quite a busy week. I've enrolled in 4 courses; introduction to literature, German linguistics, German language history and Russian. All of which are taught in German, which is great – by being thrown into the deep-end, I hope that my German will be able to improve as quickly as possible.


There are two universities in Zurich; the University of Zurich (pictured) and the ETH.


However, it has been a little tricky getting to grips with the linguistic courses whilst being taught in a foreign language, particularly as it's a technical subject that I've not been exposed to before. Free time will be something that I'll be becoming more and more unfamiliar with, as I'm certainly going to have to study hard to make sure I understand everything – I guess likening this exchange to a year-long holiday was a little hopeful of me! Having said that, I'm enjoying all of my courses (despite the 8 o'clock starts) and finding them interesting.

I've also noticed a couple of things at the university here, for example every lecture has a 15 minute break – something I find quite nice as it gives you chance to get to know the other students. I was then a little bemused to discover that at the end of every lecture, everyone knocks on their desks – which according to the Swiss students I asked afterwards, is supposed to be a sign of respect to the professors – like clapping perhaps.


Inside the university's main building, in which most of my lectures take place.


All of my lectures are taught in High German, but most of the students speak Swiss German to each other, so it has certainly been worthwhile taking the time to learn the dialect here. Besides, an Englishman speaking Swiss German (or at least attempting to) is a great conversational ice breaker and has allowed me to get to know a few of my classmates already. I'm sure as time goes on, my German will develop and I'll find the courses more manageable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment