Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

First Impressions

This week I met up with a friend of mine, who came to Zurich for a language course. A great excuse to go and see the sights of Zurich and try out the night life here. It's been a really enjoyable week, and I've seen a lot of new things here.


The view from the Uetliberg look out point, with Lake Zurich on the left and the Alps in the background.


For example on one clear evening, we decided to make a trip to Uetliberg – a hill with a look out point over the whole city. From here we could easily make out the Swiss Alps in the distance. I'll have to pay them a visit at some point...

After a week of living here, I've noticed that Zurich is really as ridiculously expensive as I've heard. I've never really been a great fan of beers for example, but when the next cheapest drink is 13 CHF (or about £11), it becomes quite an incentive to change my habits. Although whether incentive is the right word, when a beer can cost three times as much as that in the UK, I'm not quite sure. Luckily the beer here is very good. It's the same story for meat prices here too, I'm resisting – in vain I might add – to becoming vegetarian.

I've also noticed just how easy it is to get around the city. The monthly transport pass I bought, enables me to use all city centre trams, buses, trains and even water taxis! I've also made the most of it by setting up a bank account with the Zürcher Kantonalbank, which – as part of their service - gives me free tickets for the night buses.


Zurich's extensive transport network includes train, buses, trams and water taxis. The water taxis act as a great boat tour around the Limmat river and the Northern part of the lake.


I've also found noticeable just how clean it is in Zurich as well as how fit and healthy people are in Zurich, despite everyone being heavy smokers.

Aside from all of that, this week has been a productive one. Having set up a bank account, acquired a residence permit (to the tune of £70), picked up a Swiss mobile number and attended a matriculation event at the university, I feel ready to start my year of study here.

No comments:

Post a Comment