Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Exploring Affoltern

As the semester doesn't start until tomorrow, I've had another free week - enabling me to use the time getting to know the area I live in. Affoltern is a city district to the North of Zurich. Close enough to the city centre to be convenient, but far enough away to be surrounded by plenty of scenic countryside.


The Katzenseen are among the prettiest urban lakes in Switzerland.


Affoltern is lucky enough to have a couple of small lakes – the Katzenseen - where people often go to swim, sunbathe or have a barbeque. In fact it seems to be extremely popular as I discovered when walking around the lake, I noticed that any available sunny space around the lake had a swimsuit clad occupant. This popularity isn't restricted by the seasons either, I've heard that during particularly cold winters it's possible to go ice skating here! Although invariably like many other places in the German speaking realm, you must always be on your guard and not stumble upon the nudist areas...


One of the many little constructions I could find in Bergholz.


There are not just lakes here too. Directly off my street is a rather nice forest, Bergholz. My new favourite jogging route, and looking at the number of other folk I see there, a favourite of the locals too. Curiously, I've only been up to Bergholz a few times so far, but I've always noticed a solitary gentleman sat on a tree stump playing his trumpet. I imagine his wife cast him out into the woods to go and practise, at least judging by his talent – or rather lack thereof.

This past week has also been a good opportunity to get to know the other students here, whether at one of the Erasmus Student Network events or at any of the random parties which have been going on. I'm sure there'll be yet more once classes begin next week too...

No comments:

Post a Comment