Pages

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Grüezi Switzerland!


I'm here in Switzerland at last - and with the right currency this time! After spending my Summer in the UK, the first thing I noticed upon my arrival was that Summer weather does actually exist. That, together with the beauty of the city, gave me a great first impression.


The Limmat river runs right through the city from Lake Zurich. The Fraumünster church (pictured) is one of Zurich's icons.


When I finally arrived, I found that I'd managed to get a newly built, spacious flat for a bargain of a rent - albeit relatively speaking of course! Fully equipped with everything, except – disappointingly - it's missing a kettle. Quite a critical piece of kit for a tea-addicted Englishman. Having said that, I'm really happy with it and after meeting a few of my flatmates, I'm sure I'll have a comfortable time here.


One of the many winding streets in Zurich adorned with Swiss flags.


After some initial stuttered conversations, it's apparent that a whole Summer spent without speaking any German whatsoever has had a marked effect on me. Although I'm glad I took the time to try and get an ear for Swiss German. It has certainly come in useful – I hear less High German on the streets than I do English! Besides, I can probably excuse these initial hiccups as the 15 hour trip here took the edge off my concentration – or so I'd like to think!

It wasn't until after putting my feet up in the evening, whilst sat on my rather nice balcony, that the exciting realisation finally sank in: this is going to be my home for the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment