Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Warsaw & Berlin

Last weekend I met up with a friend in Berlin and we went to Warsaw. I had always wanted to visit Poland, and since I was already in the area, I thought why not head over there? It's only a 5 hour train ride away.....


The iconic palace of culture in the heart of the city.


I don't really know what I was expecting, but Warsaw certainly exceeded any expectations I had. The old town part of the city is beautiful and, although the rest of the city isn't conventionally pretty, I really liked it. There was plenty to see and do there. I'd like to go back one day, but maybe not during the harsh temperatures (-15c) of winter.


ACTA protest (against strict copyright and censor regulations) in the old town.


Whilst in Warsaw, we stumbled upon a peaceful ACTA protest. Also, in the evening, we saw huge convoys of police vans, armoured trucks and cars racing towards the area where loud bangs could be heard. It turns out it wasn't about the protest, but rather a football match had been cancelled, unleashing the wrath of the fans.



Upon returning, I then checked out what Berlin has to offer.


The infamous Brandenburger Tor of Berlin.


Berlin is unlike any city I've ever been to. Not only geographically - it has no clear centre – understandable considering the rich history of the city, but also in the feel of the place. There always seems to be something going on – probably why the night life there is raved about – justly in my opinion.


The memorial for the Jews who lost their lives during the holocaust.


Of course, there is also plenty to do in Berlin, not just for tourists but also if you live there I imagine, and that's before you even consider all of the obligatory sights that one must see (the Berlin wall, Bundestag and Fernsehturm to name just a few). Again, I can envisage coming back some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment