Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

'Tis the Season for Exams

It's that time of the year again, the exams at the University of Zurich are under way. The student flats have become eerily quiet as everyone is in their own rooms hidden beneath a pile of revision notes and empty cans of energy drink. The streets of Zurich also seemed noticeably quieter this week – although the constant rain recently might have played a role there – perhaps caused by the eloquently-named Scottish hurricane 'Bawbag'.

Snow has been forecast though, so hopefully the city will also be able to enjoy the deep snow the Alps have had. It would not only make for a white Christmas but would probably brighten the dull exam-mood. Despite being an exchange student, I too have a number of exams to attend. The first of which was today, Russian phonetic. Thankfully, it was easier than it sounds. Although I'm afraid I won't be able to say the same is true for my other courses.


Revising for my Russian exam on Tuesday.


Instead of spending my weekends reading over notes, I've done what every exchange student should do, try to get to know the environment I'm in – planning day trips, going to parties and generally having a good time. Of course, of all this has caught up with me now that the once distant prospect of exams looms ever closer. My literature exam on Monday shouldn't be too difficult in theory as we just have to define terms and discuss various schools of thought, although in practice this means I'm going to have to do some last minute cramming. And then there's Russian which won't be easy, but hopefully I should manage, there's still time.

I'm just lucky that these exams have no bearing on my degree in Aberdeen, I'm here for the experience of being in a German speaking country – this experience and learning the language will – and should - always take precedence over my actual modules here, the credit points for which my university at home won't recognise anyway. I think it's preferable to spend more time out and about in Switzerland, in order to practice speaking (Swiss) German – which is also the aim of this year abroad and is more useful to my degree – than spending most of my time hidden away under books, whereby I wouldn't be getting much speaking practice at all or even experiencing what this great country has to offer.

That's what I keep telling myself, I'm still going to have to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment