Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Day in Basel

My train journey to Basel today was rather pleasant. After helping an old lady with her bags, she proceeded to sit at my table, where we then talked for the duration of the trip. It was nice to use the time to practice my German – it certainly beat staring out the window aimlessly for an hour, besides I got the impression she was quite lonely. What was rather surprising was that after carrying her luggage off the train once we arrived in Basel, she stuffed a 100 Swiss Franc note in my hand (£75) – ordering me to use it to finance my student life. Of course, I didn't accept the money and gave it straight back. Although perhaps hanging around train stations helping people with their luggage could become quite profitable if I were to ever hit rock bottom!?


Basel lies on the spot where the French, Swiss and German borders meet.


The reason I went to Basel was to meet up with a friend who's currently spending an exchange year in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany. It was nice to catch up as well as see the sights of Basel. Basel is situated in the Northern part of Switzerland, where the French and German borders meet Switzerland. It's known as the Dreiländerecke (3 country corner).


Despite it's proximity to France, the local language of Basel is still Swiss German.


The Altstadt (old town) area of Basel is very picturesque and has quite a few sights, as well as shops, comparatively more than Bern. There was a noticeable amount of activity in the city, perhaps due to the rowing race which was taking place on the Rhine.


One of the market squares in the Basler Altstadt.


I would suggest that anyone thinking of going to Basel should consider going this coming weekend or afterwards as that is when the infamous Basler Christmas markets will be open. We saw the preparations for the Christmas market by the cathedral and it looked rather festive indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment